Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A New Anthem: Keep D.C. Wal-Mart Free

by Rosemari


The Respect D.C. Campaign seeks to keep Wal-Mart out of the District of Columbia.  I pass the yard signs through out my neighborhood of Pleasant Plains and often wonder if it's people who will get to decide what happens in their/our community. 
Photo Source

In the meantime, Monday, June 20, 2011 the U.S. Supreme Court decided to throw out the largest sexual discriminationlawsuit in American history — a nationwide class action lawsuit brought against Wal-Mart on behalf of 1.5 million female employees. 

When I checked out the song below, forwarded from social-justice-oriented photographer Roshan Ghirmire, I got goosebumps.  This song reminds me of Friday afternoons, walking to the beat of whatever Listen Vision Recording Studios happens to be spinning on their porch. To me, this song is the voice of the community. It tells the community's story. It's art as activism. And it gives me hope.  

And, on a side note, where else can you find Strom Thurmond and Trent Lott in a hip hop song?

No comments:

Post a Comment